Faber Forum

Using an external scope

edited December 1969 in SignalScope
Hi,

I'd like to know if SignalScope (or pro) could be used in conjunction with a device such as http://velleman.be/common/product.Aspx?lan=1&id=348712 , which is unfortunately only sold with a windows98 software. It's actually the only reason why I keep my old windows laptop.

I assume this wouldn't be as straightforward as it is with audio devices, but could be very useful, since it allows scoping stronger and wider signals than those one could safely inject into a laptop's audio input.

any clue or advice ?

Cheers,

greg

Comments

• Greg,

SignalScope (and Pro) currently support audio input devices only. Offering compatibility with non-audio instrumentation would require Mac OS X compatible drivers, which are generally not developed by the hardware manufacturers. National Instruments does offer Mac compatible drivers for some of their hardware products that might make it fairly straightforward to offer input from NI data acquisition hardware within SignalScope. This has been considered, but unless there is a great deal of interest, it may never materialize.

Do you need bandwidth above 96 kHz? What voltage levels do you need to analyze?

Ben
  • Well, mostly, I'll need to analyze audio and CV signals, indeed, so bandwidth and levels will be rather low, but too high for audio devices (+/- 15v max). Thing is, these signals coming out of home made devices, and me not being too much of an expert into building them, I wouldn't want to take the risk of screwing my audio hardware's input ;)

Thanks for your reply.
    In the meantime, I've a rather laconic reply from the makers of my scope, saying that no, "there are no plans at this moment to write software for the MAC OS.", which isn't very encourageing either :/