Faber Forum

Signal Scope and Mic W for iPhone

edited December 1969 in SignalScope Pro
Hi,
I've just bought the microphone Mic W i436 for iPhone to use it with Signal Scope. It seems that it is not recognized with my iPhone 4 but it is with my wife's iPhone 3GS.

Is it just only software or Hardware ? Any update planned for this ?

Thanks for your answer.

Philippe.

(From Paris)

Comments

• The MicW i436 looks like a great mic, but it will still be limited by the high pass filter the iPhone applies to the headset input. The iOS is responsible for selecting the current input device, but you might want to see that you have "Prefer Speaker Output" switched off in SignalScope's device settings screen.
  • on 1310061255:
    The MicW i436 looks like a great mic, but it will still be limited by the high pass filter the iPhone applies to the headset input. The iOS is responsible for selecting the current input device, but you might want to see that you have "Prefer Speaker Output" switched off in SignalScope's device settings screen.

I tried but it change nothing, I'm afraid that it's Hardware. Is there another solution to plug a mic to the iPhone 4 (via Dock connector) ?

Thanks.javascript:void(0);

Philippe.
  • hi,

Only on the iPhone 4, there is a short between the enclosure of the iphone enclosure (ground) and the mic ring of the jack. The solution is to put a small piece of paper or scotch or plastic between the i436 and the iphone jack input, and now, the i436 is recognized. But, i don't know why, you must always launched soundmeter or signalscope BEFORE to plug the i436. Most of programs "memorize" the i436 as headset mic but not soundmeter and signalscope. I don't know why ... you must unplug the i436 before to lauch soundmeter or signalscope ... and plug the i436 ... each time.

In conclusion, you can use the i436 on Iphone 4 with faberacoustical programs and it's a good solution to general information of sound environment.

I think that the best way to use faberacoustical mobile programs is to connect the AC output of a simple classe 1 soundlevelmeter (Bruel & Kjaer, CIRRUS, 01 dB ...) to the pin 1, 4 or 5 of the dock of the iphone (see http://www.qables.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_81 to find dock connector).  Accuracy is better and calibration procedure very useful with a calibrator designed for 1/4 Inch measurement microphones. in this case, a very "basic" but accurate affordable soundlevelmeter becomes a real spectrum analyzer ... (same procedure for vibration measurements with the output of a 2635 charge amplifier and accurate accelerometer as 4170 or 4178 (B&K).

Best regards

BP
  • a small precision ... it seems that only 15% of the iPhones 4 are concerned by this problem due to mechanical implantation of the jack input ...

• last but not least ... mistake in my precedent post ... the wiring of the dock connector for line input is 2 for the ground and 5 and 6 for the line inputs (L and R).

Sorry