Faber Forum

RTA Averaging

edited December 1969 in SignalScope
Hi all,

I am wanting to confirm that the RTA program does indeed perform measurement averaging?

am I correct that when running the RTA program, the softwar averages the response measurements made during and controlled  the "duration" time that is specified in the submenu?

As there is no user manual that I have found, I am hoping to confirm this, and also if possible know the proper method/instructions for making use of this functionality please.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hi,

The Octave analyzer tool (RTA) supports both exponential (Lp) and linear (Leq) averaging of the signal in each whole or 1/3-octave frequency band. For exponential averaging, Fast, Slow, and Impulse time weightings are supported. For linear averaging, the average level is calculated over the entire duration of the measurement.

SignalScope's built-in documentation includes information on how to access the averaging options.

Let us know if you have more questions.
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response!

this "SignalScope's built-in documentation" you mention. How do I access this?

thank you in advance!
  • In SignalScope, you'll see an info button (a little 'i' in a circle) on the right side of the toolbar at the top of the screen. Tap that, and then tap on Help.
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your response.
    I found that, but I can't seem to find anything pertaining to how to use the averaging function.

Do you happen to have instructions you could give me?

Thank you in advance!
  • What would you like to do with averaging?
  • Well, I'd like to be able to take RTA measurements, moving the mic around the listening position where the listeners head would be situated during the 20 second interval, and have the RTA average the measurements taken during the 20 second interval.

(I hope that makes sense!)

Can it do that? if so, how do I do that?

Many thanks for your indulgence!
  • Based on your description, I would recommend that you look in the Octave Analyzer options menu and set Level Type to Leq, turn on Auto Stop, and set the duration to 20 seconds.
  • simple as that? So the program averages all the measurements it takes during the set "duration" automatically?
  • Yes. With those settings, you'll get the average sound level over 20 seconds in each whole or 1/3 octave band, plus an overall (full bandwidth) average level. You can see the overall level by tapping the graph to turn on the cursor.
  • sweet! thank you so much for helping me (and your indulgence!)
  • on 1510895120:
    Yes. With those settings, you'll get the average sound level over 20 seconds in each whole or 1/3 octave band, plus an overall (full bandwidth) average level. You can see the overall level by tapping the graph to turn on the cursor.

Hi Faber, when I tap the graph nothing happens. Is this a bug?