Basic set up

edited December 1969 in SoundMeter
Hi I recentley brought your soundmeter program for my iPhone. I want to use it as a basic level meter in my recording studio during mixdown. However can you tell me the best settings for this as I'm not quite sure what weighting, level type and response to use. The idea for me is to keep my mixes at 85 db as I understand this is when the sound will be at it's flattest point and also won't damage my hearing. Thanks in advance for your help. Ben

Comments

• Ben

I'm guessing that you plan to use the built-in mic on your iPhone. Do you have an iPhone 3G, or an original model? If it's not an iPhone 3G, I would recommend using the headset microphone that came with it for more accurate measurements.

To be conservative, I would recommend a flat frequency weighting. The time weighting indicates how quickly the measured sound level responds to changes in the actual sound level, but based on your stated intent, I would suggest that a slow weighting might help maintain some consistency between your mixes.

Ben
  • Hi,

Are there already people who used the mini microphone from usbfever.
    and will it work for the Soundmeter programm?

My hope is that higher volumes will be supported.

KlaasJan.