Faber Forum

Decimeter on iPhone

dsddsd
edited December 1969 in SignalScope
Sorry, I am not an audio guy by any means and have a question before I buy.

What I want is to be able to use the iphone to get a rough idea of the volume (loudness/decibel output) of a certain thing.  Rough idea of decibel output would be good enough.  An example would be how loud is a cars exhaust at peak rev, etc..)

If this does that, I'd buy in a second.

Thanks,
dsd

Comments

• dsd,

The issue with creating a sound level meter (SLM) for iPhone is finding an appropriate way to connect a suitable measurement microphone. To measure any kind of meaningful sound level, a calibrated measurement microphone, with known characteristics and tolerances, is required.

I have successfully connected a Type 1, 1/2-inch measurement microphone to the iPhone, but the iPhone's headset input is much too sensitive. Once we get the hardware figured out (proper gains, not too bulky, etc), we can look at distributing a SLM app for iPhone.

Ben
  • Hmmm, so would this potentially be useful to get even approximate spl readings at a club or concert? 

I'm a musician and have a medium case of Tinnitus (ear ringing/damage)... I'd like something that's always in my pocket to check when I suspect I'm getting even more hearing damage and even alert the mixer!
    Thanks!
  • When it comes to protecting your hearing, a high quality calibrated measurement mic would be most valuable for sound level measurements.

However, if you're just looking to get in the ballpark of the actual sound level, we could look at providing an iPhone app that just relies on the built-in or headset mic.

Ben
  • on 1216751762:
    When it comes to protecting your hearing, a high quality calibrated measurement mic would be most valuable for sound level measurements.

However, if you're just looking to get in the ballpark of the actual sound level, we could look at providing an iPhone app that just relies on the built-in or headset mic.

Ben

A ballpark app would be great.  I have no internalized reference for sound volume, so I don't know if something is 40db or 100db (where as if someone says 2 feet, I have an inherent reference for that).

Thanks,
    dsd
  • Thanks for the quick reply FaberAST!
    Yes, my aim is to have something handy that would tell me how badly I need run a way!

I'd be fine carrying a tiny (electret?) mic if it really made a difference over the builtin... 
    Would one?
    (ideally it would be useful for the odd sound recording too).
    FWIW, I've used B&K mics so I know what a difference a good flat response mic can be
    but I'm afraid I wouldn't always have it and the huge power supply in my pants pocket... :wink:
    Cheers...