Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Author Topic: Spectrograms (as opposed to a real-time spectral slice)?  (Read 11836 times)

Frequency And Sulphur

• View Profile
Spectrograms (as opposed to a real-time spectral slice)?
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
Any chance that SignalScope for the iPhone will be getting a spectrogram display in addition to the FFT analyzer that seems to be on there?  Real-time would be nice, but more useful (to me) would be the ability to record a short segment and then draw a zoomable spectrogram?

This would be very useful for me, as it provides a somewhat more conventional way of looking at speech acoustics.

FaberAST

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.FaberAcoustical.com
Re: Spectrograms (as opposed to a real-time spectral slice)?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
Yes.  A real-time spectrogram is in the works.

Ben

overtones

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »
Hi there, I also had the familiar problems downloading this app, but it updated itself onto my iPhone this evening, and it looks fantastic. A really great program!

My background is in music, so although I know a lot about frequencies and stuff I'm certainly not an expert on this type of program. Perhaps a lot of iPhone users will be like me. I'm not sure exactly what a spectogram is, but I suspect that is something I am looking for too. Just so you know what I would be trying to use your program for:

1. Illustrating vowel shapes to singers (shape of strength of overtones)

2. A visual way to encourage singers and instrumentalists to produce a stronger 'tone', by which we usually talk about producing stronger overtones (upper harmonics).

I've fiddled about with the settings, I wonder could you recommend any particular settings for the uses I mention there. For instance I think linear works better than log for the frequency side of things.

And once again thanks for a brilliant app!

FaberAST

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
overtones,

It sounds like a spectrogram would be very valuable to you. You can take a look at our Mac software for sample spectrogram displays.

For now, with SignalScope on iPhone, your best bet may be to work with a linear frequency scale and a dB magnitude scale. Increasing the number of spectral lines will improve the frequency resolution, but it will slow down the responsiveness of the spectrum display. A little trial and error can help you find a setting that you like best.

The harmonic cursors may also be helpful.

Enjoy!

Ben

Frequency And Sulphur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
Any updates on this?  I'm very eagerly anticipating a spectrogram option, even more if I could set the window length on the spectrogram (to reveal formants in speech, for instance).

FaberAST

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:24:46 AM »
There's nothing to announce yet.

What range of window lengths would you be looking for?

Frequency And Sulphur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »
I'd like to be able to switch to a window length around 0.005 seconds to get a good broadband spectrogram :)