Author Topic: FFT smoothing and noise  (Read 8582 times)

iNumb

• View Profile
FFT smoothing and noise
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
Hi, Im using SS on iPhone 2G for quick PA sound system EQ, Im getting good results with it, but Im needing some kind of FFT smoothing, so I can get good bass resolution and a smooth graph viewing for hi freq.

Noise: when I set "Audio pass through" I hear in my headphones the signal the original headset mic is capturing mixed with some kind of pink noise in the background. I restarted the iPhone but the noise is still there.

SS doesn't have pink noise generator, what is generating this noise?

Thanks

Paul

FaberAST

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.FaberAcoustical.com
Re: FFT smoothing and noise
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »
Paul,

Hi, Im using SS on iPhone 2G for quick PA sound system EQ, Im getting good results with it, but Im needing some kind of FFT smoothing, so I can get good bass resolution and a smooth graph viewing for hi freq.
What amount of smoothing are you looking for? Perhaps a better question is: What frequency resolution do you need? Would the 1/3 octave analyzer in SignalScope Pro be adequate for your needs?

SS doesn't have pink noise generator, what is generating this noise?
I haven't experienced that before with SignalScope. Do you only hear the noise when using Audio Through in SignalScope? Do you hear similar noise when recording or listening to the same headset mic signal in any other app?

Ben

Vern

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Does the noise occur only at high SPL or is it always there when you select audio pass through?

iNumb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Hi, I solved the noise issue, it was the headset microphone. I pick a new one and the noise dissapear.

FFT smoothing: I'm looking for 1/6 or 1/12 octave band smoothing. But not like an RTA (bars).